Granny Weatherwax’s beehives were tucked away down one side of the cottage. Some were the old straw kind, most were patched-up wooden ones. They thundered with activity, even this late in the year.
Tiffany turned aside to look at them, and the bees poured out in a dark stream. They swarmed toward Tiffany, formed a column, and—
She laughed. They’d made a witch of bees in front of her, thousands of them all holding station in the air. She raised her right hand. With a rise in the level of buzzing, the bee-witch raised its right hand. She turned around. It turned around, the bees carefully copying down every swirl and flutter of her dress, the ones on the very edge buzzing desperately because they had farthest to fly.
She carefully put down the big sack and reached out toward the figure. With another roar of wings it went shapeless for a moment, then re-formed a little way away, but with a hand out-stretched toward her. The bee that was the tip of its forefinger hovered just in front of Tiffany’s fingernail.
"Shall we dance?" said Tiffany.
In the clearing full of spinning seeds, she circled the swarm. It kept up pretty well, moving fingertip to buzzing tip, turning when she turned, although there were always a few bees racing to keep up.
Then it raised both its arms and twirled in the opposite direction, the bees in the “skirt” spreading out again as it spun. It was learning.
Tiffany laughed and did the same thing. Swarm and girl whirled across the clearing.
She felt happy and wondered if she’d ever felt this happy before. The gold light, the falling seeds, the dancing bees…it was all one thing. This was the opposite of the dark desert. Here, light was everywhere and filled her up inside. She could feel herself here but see herself from above, twirling with a buzzing shadow that sparkled golden as the light struck the bees, moments like this paid for it all.
— A Hat Full of Sky
- amazonswan likes this
- thisdumbasshunter reblogged this from guiding-light
- legenda13 likes this
- a-booketarian reblogged this from guiding-light
- kitsunati reblogged this from guiding-light
- kitsunati likes this
- she-was-a-rose reblogged this from colouritlater
- delicious-mindmush reblogged this from colouritlater
- delicious-mindmush likes this
- creepylittlekiwi reblogged this from colouritlater
- niniel75 likes this
- niniel75 reblogged this from colouritlater
- emptyheadedgod likes this
- farkaska likes this
- oldthingsandnewthings reblogged this from guiding-light and added:
- oldthingsandnewthings likes this
- colouritlater reblogged this from stalinistqueens
- fantasylala likes this
- skyvoice likes this
- centaurettedefeu likes this
- thefirstdayofjuly likes this
- hyacinthdirigible likes this
- asciiheart reblogged this from stalinistqueens
- asciiheart likes this
- saint-just likes this
- puzzlecunt likes this
- stalinistqueens reblogged this from saxifraga-x-urbium
- gileonnen likes this
- purgatori likes this
- mordantcuriosity likes this
- sea-of-bitterness reblogged this from saxifraga-x-urbium
- earlgreysoul likes this
- echoprincess likes this
- saxifraga-x-urbium reblogged this from princeofsparkles
- ladymyfanwy reblogged this from princeofsparkles
- princeofsparkles reblogged this from guiding-light
- silly-cleo likes this
- adanedelnormegil likes this
- prongsdidntbeatdeath likes this
- acodetojoy likes this
- color-me-in-love likes this
- ifuckinglovedragons reblogged this from guiding-light
- peonysubclune likes this
- cripplethebitch reblogged this from guiding-light
- ellieintheskywithroxy reblogged this from guiding-light
- girlsjustwannahavedragons likes this
- idylltale likes this
- illustration-alcove reblogged this from guiding-light
- fierysunbird likes this
- petitefluer reblogged this from insert-sexycoat-here